Welcome to the fastest, most exciting adrenalin fueled student sport in the country!
The British Universities Karting Championship 2013 is open to any full time student studying at an accredited university in the UK.
The championship in 2013 consists of 2 regional qualifiers followed by 9 national rounds spread over 7 race days between November and June (excluding exam period)
In addition 2 separate test days are laid on before the regional qualifiers for drivers to familiarise themselves with the power and the handling of the karts. After Christmas there is one test day to get back in the zone before the remainder of the championship.
We have also laid on 3 special Rookie Championship events specifically for teams who don't qualify through to the main championship.
The BUKC is strictly a team based sport for teams of 4 drivers exactly.
The BUKC uses the most powerful arrive-and-drive kart fleet in the world.
These 115cc 2-stroke TKM-Extreme engined Birel-chassis karts are capable of accelerating from 5 to 60mph in 4.5s and can achieve top speeds of 70mph.
Racing in the BUKC is nothing like indoor or outdoor karting on 4-stroke Honda-engined karts. The karts are in an entirely different league of performance.
The fleet is operated and maintained by Club100. Club100 are the pioneers in high performance arrive-and-drive kart racing. They have been in operation since 1993
The Test Days
To ensure that every driver is familiar with the performance of the Club100 karts, all drivers must attend at least one of 3 test days or have raced in the BUKC in previous years to be elegible to race in the championship.
3T Racing keep a database of every driver to check if they have attended a test day. Any driver not on this database will not be allowed to race in the championship.
The test days provide your team with the perfect opportunity to get to grips with the Club100 karts. Each team is allocated a kart for 2 hours of uninterrupted track time. The test days are also the place to practise fuel stops and team work.
Teams may consist of up to 4 drivers for a test day
The price of a 2 hour test day is £160 inc VAT payable on the day.
The 3 test days are scheduled for:
- Fri 19th Oct 2012 at Bayford Meadows (arrival at 8.30am and 11am)
- Wed 31st Oct 2012 at Rye House (arrival at 7.30am, 10am and 12.30pm).
- Wed 6th Feb 2013 at Bayford Meadows (arrival at 8.30am and 11am) - after Christmas
The Regional Qualifiers
Due to the ever growing demand to take part in the BUKC, every team wishing to take part in the championship must take part in one of two regional qualifiers - the Northern Regional Qualifier or the Southern Regional Qualifier
The top 26 teams from each of the regional qualifiers will qualify through to the main National Championship starting in early December. Any teams that don't qualify through to the National Championship will instead by invited back to compete in the Rookie Championship.
The format of each regional qualifier will be:
- 2 hrs testing (optional but highly recommended)
- 4 x 25 minute races
- 2 x 1hr races
The cost will be £580 per team which includes the testing. For those teams that want to miss the testing the cost is £420 per team.
The two regional qualifiers are scheduled for:
- Southern Qualifier: Bayford Meadows - Wed 14th November 2012
- Northern Qualifier: Teesside Autodrome - Wed 21st November 2012
The National Championship
The 9 round championship takes place over 5 days between December 2012 and the end of June 2013.
- Rounds 1 & 2: Warden Law – Wed 13th Feb 2013
- Rounds 3 & 4: Llandow – Sun 3rd Mar 2013
- Rounds 5 & 6: Buckmore Park – Wed 13th Mar 2013
- Rounds 7 & 8: Clay Pigeon – Sat 23rd Mar 2013
- Round 9 (+ drivers champ): Whilton Mill – Mon 24th June 2013
The first 4 days will consist of 2 rounds. One in the morning and one in the afternoon
The final (5th) day will consist of one round only in the morning – the final of the championship. The afternoon of the last race day will host the awesome BUKC Drivers Championship.
Each team must consist of 4 drivers exactly for each round. No more no more less. Exceptions to this rule are detailed in the Rules and Regs. The team does not have to consist of the same drivers for each round.
The price of entry is £235 inc VAT per round if paying on a round by round basis. Your team can save 10% by paying for all 9 rounds of the championship up front (£212 per round). Payments for the 10% discount must be made by Wed 5th December.
Please note that 4 out of 5 race days consist of 2 rounds. Therefore the cost of each of those 4 race days is £424 per team per race day if paying for the whole championship up front or £470 per team per race day if paying on a round by round basis. However on the final race day there is only 1 round - the 9th round. The afternoon of the final race day is taken up with the Drivers Championship.
There are 2 bespoke awesome formats used in the BUKC titled the Sprint Format and the Endurance Format.
The Sprint Format
The Sprint Format is where every driver in the team gets to race in their own individual 25minute race. No fuel stops, no driver changes. Just a 25 minute sprint to the flag with 3 to 5 laps practice prior.
The teams finishing score for the round is determined by adding up the best 3 results from the 4 sprint races.
The Endurance Format
The Endurance Format is where the team (of 4 drivers) is split into 2 teams of 2. Each mini-team of 2 drivers races in a one-hour race.
2 fuel stops must be made, and at least one driver change must be made.
The teams finishing score for the round is determined by adding up the points from both the 2 one-hour races
The Rookie Championship
All those teams that do not qualify for the National Championship will be invited back to race in the ever popular Rookie Championship.
The Rookie Championship is the perfect opportunity for teams to build up some race experience in the 2-stroke Club100 karts without the worry of getting passed left, right and center by the more experienced teams. Places are strictly limited to just 25 teams to keep grid sizes purposely smaller than in the main championship.
There will be 3 Rookie Championship events this year and these are scheduled for:
- Round 1: Llandow - Sat 2nd March 2013
- Round 2: Clay Pigeon - Fri 22nd March 2013
- Round 3: Whilton Mill - Tues 25th June 2013 (the day after Round 9 of the National Championship)
Each Rookie Championship round will consist of a 2 hour test session (mandatory) and 4 x 25 minute races. The testing is mandatory because we want to ensure that drivers develop and are prepared well for the racing. The best 3 race results will count towards the final round score.
The cost of each Rookie Championship round, including the mandatory testing, will be £380 inc VAT per team.
- All teams must take part in the Regional Qualifiers
- All drivers must attend a test day before racing in the Regional Qualifiers
- The top 26 teams from each Regional Qualifier will qualify through to the National Championship
- All those teams that do not qualify through to the National Championship will be invited back to race in the Rookie Championship
- The cost of a Regional Qualifier is £580 (2 hrs of testing, 4 hrs of racing)
- Teams must consist of 4 drivers exactly for each race event
- The cost of a test day is £160 inc VAT per team (2 hrs of track time)
- There are 9 rounds to the main National Championship
- The cost of a round is £235 inc VAT per team (or £212 inc VAT per team if paying for all 9 rounds up front)